Thursday, December 23, 2010

Crane bag ceremony(adapted from John Machate)

I like to know as much as I can about the things I`m about to do and in my research about our shaman`s bag I came across the lore of the Celtic Crane Bag created by Mannannan mac Lir(a sea god) and carried by the kings of Ireland.Celtic bards and shamans(although they were more commonly known as either sorcerers or Druids) each carried their own version of the crane bag and called upon Manannan and the original Crane Bag when they consecrated their bags.
I found one version of this ceremony written by John Machate that invites others to modify the ceremony as needed and use it respectfully as they will.
Here`s my version;

After clearing and preparing space and self spread your shaman`s cloth on the ground to act as an altar cloth.After finding North and spreading out your cloth,place your bag,your offerings to Manannan and the Ancestors and set out markers for the 4 directions if you see fit.

Face North and begin by doing the Little Death Breath.Once completed,begin by exhaling while saying;
"I stand in the center of all three worlds and cast these circles"
"I am the Namer"(once around clockwise)
"I am the Shaper"(around again)
"I am the Watcher"(one more time)
Facing North,inhale and go to one knee,placing the palms of both hands firmly on the ground in front of you.Exhale while saying;
"I stand firmly upon the Earth"
Inhale and face east,hands at hip level palms out.Exhale while saying;
"I keep the Fire in my head and my heart"
(tap your head and heart with fingertips of both hands where appropriate)
Inhale and face the South, hands at your sides,fingers spread. Then exhale while saying;
"The sky spreads out above me"
(raise hands overhead till thumbs and forefingers form triangle overhead)
Inhale and face the West,hands behind,palms up and cupped.Exhale while saying;
"The waters always surround me"
(bring hands around,palms up and cupped as in holding water to meet and join in front)
Face North and cloth/altar

Invocation:
" Manannan mac Lir,Lord of the Mist,Guardian of the gate of the Otherworld,I ask for your help and guidance in the consecration of my my crane bag.I ask that you open the gate and allow my ancestors to join this ceremony.Spirits,I ask that you join us in the spirit of peace and aid me in the creation and consecration of this bag in accordance with Divine Will. "

Dedication/consecration:
"In times past Bards and Druids walked Ireland and the lands of the Celts.With them they carried their treasures and tools in the crane bag of Manannan mac Lir.
Today each shaman carries his own bag (hold bag up) to carry the tools and treasures of their Craft.
Manannan,I ask that you bless this bag and infuse it with the magick and energy of your own bag.Just as Fion carried the Crane Bag of Manannan mac Lir,so shall I".(make offering to Manannan)

Closing:
" Manannan mac Lir,thank you for your wisdom,guidance and blessing.It is a gift I will keep close to my heart.Go in peace with my Ancestors.
Spirits and Ancestors,thank you for your help and blessings.May there be nothing but peace between us."(make offering to Ancestors)

Release the circle:
"I cast this circle out into the cosmos as a sign of my work.The circle is open but never broken.So mote it be"


I welcome any and all comments and suggestions in regard to this ritual.

Blessings,
Daedalus

No comments:

Post a Comment