A friend suggested that instead of a resolution to mark the secular New Year we each choose a word to work with for a year. This sounded like both and excellent idea and a challenge. Being a sucker for challenges I took her up on it and discovered "authenticity" wanted to be carried around in my pocket for a while. At least that`s where it started. I wrote the word down on a small sheet of paper,folded it and stuck it in my wallet. Being a practitioner of magick I should have known better.
That slip of paper kept showing up everywhere and every time I turned around I was unfolding it and staring at my word for the year. In no time at all it had traveled from my pocket to my head and was rolling around up there like a billiard ball smashing into the other balls on my table and chasing them into pockets till it was one of the few balls left in play. Next game up authenticity has shifted from a numbered ball to being the cue ball. Now my head is really in the game. Even as I am sitting quietly on the sidelines I have my cue in one hand and am chalking up for our next shot. I`ll study the table and try to envision what angles and lines will appear for me next. I am aware that the game has drawn a few spectators and even a few side bets are being placed on my ability to remain standing and in command of the table. The eyes are focused on the table but the thoughts,assessments and doubts are focused on the players.
I have to keep reminding myself that this is meant to be a year long tournament and that I`m bound to lose a game here and there. I need to keep focused, practiced and in the game yet not let what I`m playing for move from my head and hands toward becoming a monkey on my back.
We each circle the table when it comes our turn to shoot. We may view the lineup a bit differently than our own team mates even when we`re aiming toward the same end results. In the end we stand alone and take our shot. Even if we don`t sink it then we need to at least not leave the opposition an opening to run the table and send us out into the street wishing we had played things differently that evening.
So now I find that authenticity is actually a very accomplished shapeshifter and,at least for a while, has morphed from being the cue ball into the cue I have taken possession of and will be playing with for the foreseeable future. I have already defeated others using things such as discernment, frustration, chaos and distraction against me. They played a good game and who knows, I may play against them again as the year progresses. In the end we`ll see if authenticity and I have what it takes to make the money shot and win this tournament.
So is discernment not in your bag of tricks anymore? Seems like it would make a nice companion to authenticity.
ReplyDeleteI am learning to discern the difference between authenticity and originality. Right now I have my hands full with that. ;^)
ReplyDelete